Ever since we decided on our honeymoon destination, I've been having a love affair with France. I tried (not all that successfully) to learn French; I admired many (and bought some) boxes, notebooks, and trinkets with France-related motifs; I've eaten at French restaurants.
And I have consumed every piece of France-related media I can get my hands on. If it takes place in France, even partially, I will probably read, listen to, or watch it. Here's my most recent list:
- Paris, Je T'Aime When Borders was in the final days of liquidation, this was at the top of a pile of DVDs along the check-out line. I'd never heard of it, and it didn't have a price. I thought, Looks interesting. I'll take a chance on it if it's less than $10. It rang up $6. Score! It's a series of short films--in French--about life in France. They were in turns sad, funny, odd, interesting, and poignant.
- Pirate I got this in audiobook format from a coworker who knows I like to listen to books to keep me sane during my commute. It's an international political thriller involving France and China predominantly, and Oman, England, and the United States in smaller bits. Not my usual fare, but it's been fast-moving and intriguing.
- Hidden in Paris So far, my price point on Kindle books has been about $5, except for the rare exception (and most books I get for 99 cents). I check out the Kindle Daily Deal every day and shop sale lists. I've gotten some really great reads this way. This particular book also brought me a new blog to read: Hidden in France.
- Speaking of blogs, my France infatuation has totally extended to the internet. I check out My French Country Home, Fabulously French, and FrenchEssence from time to time, just to get my French living fix.
- The Paris Wife This was recommended to me by my mom. France to satisfy my obsession, and historical fiction to put an interesting spin on writers whose works I'm familiar with.
- Sarah's Key I've been meaning to read this for years, actually, and did not even remember it took place in France until I started it. I've always been interested in Holocaust stories, and this one is a fabulous mix of a side of the war I'd not known much about and a present-day storyline, all set (of course) in Paris.
- Kushiel's Dart and the next several books in the series. Another set I've been listening to on audiobook, and another departure from my typical preferences. This one's semi-historical (takes place in an alternate Europe, primarily in pseudo-France) fantasy series mixing espionage with erotica (less than I was expecting after a friend's description).
- And, on my list for in the immediate future: Midnight in Paris and Hugo, two films I want to see regardless of their setting, but they fit the theme. We actually rented Midnight in Paris last weekend, online, from the Blockbuster Express kiosk near our house, but when we got there to pick it up, the machine was broken. Maybe we'll rent it this weekend.
Do you have any France-related recommendations? I'm still going strong with this trend...
La Nouvelle Vague! French New Wave cinema is fascinating and wonderful. Agnès Varda is an incredible woman, and her films are true masterpieces. Varda's Cléo from 5 to 7 is one of my favorite movies, period. And Jean-Luc Godard's Breathless is also non-optional (for Jean Seberg's iconic haircut if nothing else).
ReplyDelete