Pages

Sunday, January 29, 2012

All The Crafts: Candles and Wall Art


Yesterday, Steve and I spent the afternoon in Santa Barbara.  The boys had a massive, two-TV video game party planned, and that left L and me to CRAFT.  Not counting the wedding scrapbooks she and I are each working on, neither of us had done any real crafty activities since before our weddings.

We spent about three hours driving around Santa Barbara and gathering supplies: Alpha Thrift, Michael's, and, when we forgot to grab crayons at Michael's, K-Mart.

It had been over a year since our last candle-making extravaganza, when we tried to make all the candles for Christmas gifts.  This time, we decided to each do two.  Much more manageable!  And now, being experienced candle-makers, the process was much more streamlined to begin with.

L had seen teacup candles on Martha Stewart's webpage, so that's what we were looking for at Alpha Thrift.  Unfortunately, most of their cute teacups were sold in sets of six or eight, and most of their single cups were unappealing to us.  L got a couple of bubble glass dishes, and I ended up with a small sundae dish and a... juice glass?  (I also grabbed a set of six coasters with vintage-looking Paris scenes, which you'll see in a moment, and a few little silver dishes to hold jewelry.)

A brick of candle wax, a roll of wick, some wick bases, crayons for color, and a few candle scents later, and... we made candles!


These are mine!   The red one is apple-cinnamon scented, and the sundae dish is vanilla with bits of broken-up (non-scented) brown crayon for chocolate chips.  The cherry is a ball of left-over apple-cinnamon wax.

I'm quite pleased with how they turned out.  The red one has been burning on my desk here for most of the afternoon and it's not heavily fragranced.  I'm not sure I'll burn the sundae... I think it's too cute.  Haha.  We'll see!

In between candle-making, I worked on my second craft: wall art.  Coasters, matting, a perfectly-shaped frame, and a glue gun and I've got a new decoration for my computer/guest room.



I really like how this turned out, too.  (Did I mention I'm still kinda totally obsessed with France?)  The pictures on the coasters are in the same style as the paintings Steve and I bought in Montmartre, one of which is hanging in our bedroom.  If there had been a way to tie everything together in the same room, I would have, but there wasn't a logical hanging spot for this in there.

Anyway.  Crafts!  Not bad for a Saturday afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment